NBN Technology Overview
The NBN will transform the Australian telecoms sector. This one day course outlines the NBN technologies, services and business environment.Also Available Online
Who would benefit from this course?
Those in NBN related technical and non-technical roles, both within and outside the telecoms sector. Course participants may come from State and Commonwealth Government agencies, local councils, retail service providers, engineering companies and carriers.
…essential background for those with NBN roles
The NBN will provide high speed broadband using Fibre to the Premises (FTTP), Fibre to the Node (FTTN), Cable, Wireless and Satellite Broadband technologies. This one day course, suitable for both technical and non-technical audiences, outlines NBN technologies, NBN policy issues and the business model.
In particular, the course considers NBN implications arising from the 2013 change of Government.
The course begins with an overview of NBN objectives and anticipated data rates. NBN technology components are then outlined, focusing on FTTP and FTTN and their underlying technologies (both current and future). The NBN architecture is then described, as well as the interfaces between carriers/service providers and the NBN. The NBN wholesale service model is then outlined, along with a review of the NBN rollout.
NBN Wireless and Satellite Broadband services are then reviewed, focusing on the architecture and expected performance. The course concludes by examining the NBN consumer and business services, voice services, regulatory issues (including the ACCC role) and the NBN pricing model.
Participants completing this course should be able to:
[fancy_list style = “arrow” variation=”blue”]
- Outline the NBN objectives and business case, and describe the wholesale service model
- List the NBN data rates, and describe what they actually mean
- Outline how the Fibre to the Premises “GPON” architectures used in the NBN will cater for growth in bandwidth requirements
- Describe the key capabilities of Fibre to the Node (FTTN) broadband
- Outline how cable broadband technologies may extend to the NBN
- Define PoI, Fibre Serving Area (FSA), Fibre Distribution Hub, Fibre Access Node, and describe the interface points between the NBN and carriers/access seekers
- Describe the progress of and key issues facing the NBN rollout
- Outline the key details of the NBN fixed wireless broadband architecture and services
- Describe the key NBN Interim Satellite Service characteristics
- List the key features and describe the capacity of the NBN Long Term Satellite Service
- Describe the mechanisms for voice service provision within the NBN
- Understand how the NBN pricing model works
- Describe the key regulatory issues facing the NBN and the ACCC role